Tuesday, September 4, 2012

When Art Imitates Life :)

Click Image for Larger View
Summer is coming to a close, Fall is right around the corner. Not to rush the seasons, this weekend we started to slowly put away summer and look forward to fall, one of my favorite times of the year!  

Some of our Walt Disney Classics Collection (WDCC) sculptures we consider seasonal, so are only displayed during the holidays or a specific time of the year.  One of our seasonal pieces is Chip 'n Dale from Working for Peanuts (1953).

As I took the piece from the box, something made me chuckle in how much this piece reminded me of Mary and myself.  Mary is much like how Chip is portrayed in this sculpture, very calm and patient. When we're working on a project, she's much like Chip in how he's holding the peanut, standing calm, steady & patient.

Whereas, I'm more like Dale (calm & patient being two words never in my vocabulary), the expression on his face and how he's grabbing at the peanut with full force is how I typically take on a project.   When I pointed this out to her, we got quite the chuckle and decided this piece really should be displayed all year round vs. just on a seasonal basis.

Chip 'n Dale have rarely been portrayed in the Walt Disney Classics Collection.  Prior to this release, they were released as part of scene releases from Pluto's Christmas Tree (1952) and Two Chips and a Miss (1952) either in Christmas attire or top hat and tails.  This sculpture truly captures their personalities.

Chip 'n Dale ("Determined Duo"), sculpted by Bruce Lau was released as an Open Edition release in October, 2005 and retired in May, 2012.


Click Each Image Below for a Larger View

Mary as Chip
Don as Dale








No comments: