Thursday, November 25, 2010

Comic Book Companions!

Celebrating 70 years of publication in 2010, Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories is one of the best-selling and longest-lived comic books ever, and this fun-filled anthology of multi-paneled Disney delights has featured many unforgettable covers over the years.

Attributed to veteran artist
Carl Buettner, the famous cover art from issue number 33, June 1943, features Mickey favorite: the infinity cover, in which characters read a comic cover picturing them reading a cover that pictures them reading that cover, and so on, into infinity.

The latest release in the
Classic Comics Series (4th release in series) scheduled for Spring 2011 and sculpted by Bruce Lau is an irresistible sculpture artfully celebrating Disney’s flagship comic book—still published today—while also spotlighting two of the greatest stars from its pages.

Comic Book Companions is Limited to Production Year 2011.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Mickey and Donald look so innocent together. Like two kids enjoying their comic book together.

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Will be honest, when I initially saw the image I thought, 'oh, another Donald & Mickey' but as I worked on the presentation page, resizing the images and noticing the detail of the comic book they're reading, I have to admit, I really like this one.

I think it's the simpleness of the comic book illustration and how well Bruce translated that into 3D that appeals to me with this sculpture.

This is one I initially planned on passing on but now, a definite for our collection!

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you Duckman. This piece was a pass for me when I first saw it. Then I read more about the premise and what it is based off of, so now its a must have for me!

Gregory said...

This piece is wonderful for its simplicity. Both characters have this innocent look to them that is really charming. I love Mickey so its hard not to like this one.

Herc said...

This piece is adorable. It brings back the innocence of the time period and the simplicity of the characters. This one is a winner and I personally cannot wait to get this one.