Saturday, December 20, 2008

Simba: Can't Wait to be King as the 2009 Spring Event Sculpture!

Simba is the Spring Premiere Event featured sculpture taking place worldwide April 17-20, 2009.

The sculpture is from the I Can't Wait To Be King song sequence from Disney's blockbuster, The Lion King. Simba asks his mother if he can go to the water-hole with his best friend, Nala. Their parents agree but only if Mufasa's majordomo, the hornbill Zazu, goes with them. Simba and Nala elude Zazu's supervision during I Just Can't Wait to Be King and go to the graveyard instead.

A Numbered Limited Edition (NLE) of 1,500, Simba was sculpted by Bruce Lau. The sculpture will bear a 15th Anniversary backstamp in honor of the film's release.

For your viewing pleasure (courtesy of YouTube.com), is the I Can't Wait to Be King sequence from Disney's The Lion King (1994):



The Lion King ©Disney

5 comments:

Behr said...

Cute piece, hopefully they'll now add the hyena's to the classics. Been waiting for years.

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Hi Geoffrey,

Even though not a fan of The Lion King, have to admit, this is a cute piece. I especially like the detail of the mane, that you can get a better perspective in the side and back angle views included on the presentation page.

Timon said...

My two cents on this one (of course!). At all the WDAC Conventions of years past, when I was asking for the "I Can't Wait to Be King" piece, THIS was one of the pieces I wanted to see.

This AND the "animal pyramid" that's at the end of the sequence. Still wishing! (Maybe a signature piece?!?!)

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Hey Tim,

I do recall you talking about both moments. Glad to see that one came to pass. As we discussed yesterday, I really like the attention to detail that Bruce did in sculpting the mane. They could have taken the short cut and gave the effect of the leaves but like how it appears each leaf was sculpted. It's this attention to detail that sets WDCC apart from other collectibles.

The Animal Pyramid could make a very cool Signature sculpt. A single one-sculpt sculpture like this year's Alice.

Koen said...

Very cute piece. I've already ordered it.