Friday, April 4, 2008

Minnie Turns 80!


Mickey and Minnie Mouse have been charming audiences now for 80 years. In honor of that milestone, the Walt Disney Classics Collection is releasing Minnie Then and Now. The sculpture depicts as she looked in 1928 (Plane Crazy) and 1995 (Runaway Brain).

Minnie Then and Now was sculpted by Jacqueline Perreault Gonzales and joins previous Then and Now releases for Mickey Mouse (2003) and Donald Duck (2006). Mickey Then and Now, sculpted by Patrick Romandy-Simmons was released in honor of Mickey's 75th Birthday and Donald Then and Now, sculpted by Bruce Lau was released in honor of Donald's 70th Birthday.

7 comments:

Herc said...

I like this one. Is this a new series or unofficially known as the Then and Now series?

Jason S. said...

With 3 releases under its belt, I'd say it looks like an unofficial series to me. Hope we can look forward to a Goofy and/or Pluto in the future as they approach anniversaries.

I'd venture to say this is my favorite of the three in terms of execution of the piece.

Did we ever learn what the reference shorts were for the Donald piece?

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Jeff-I would agree with Jason. It's never been formally labeled as a series, same as the Transportation Series.

Jason-No, that information was not available with the release of Donald Then and Now. I'm guessing the black and white Donald could be depicted from a short but the colorized version is more than likely interpretive. JTDO.

Behr said...

Yeah Don I agree with you, not called one but really is a series. I hope we see the other three added because I believe it would be great to display all six together. I really love Minnie and she is definitely my favorite of the three.

DC Pop Fanatic said...

I too wondered with them now doing Mickey, Donald and Minnie, if we'll see the other two members of the Fab Five.

I liked your mention of the other three, were you including Daisy??

Behr said...

Yeah was including Daisy. Its funny how she gets left out many times but thinks she deserves to be included here for sure!

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Totally in agreement with you Geoffrey ]:)