Saturday, January 5, 2008

Silly Symphony Series: Part I

One of the high points for me in 2007 was the debut of the Silly Symphony Series. I must admit, I was disappointed when 1st Quarter 2008 was unveiled and missing was the next release from this series. Was anyone else as disappointed as well?

I recall back around 1999 or 2000, WDAC asking me to poll collectors on their thoughts of seeing a series focusing on Walt Disney's Silly Symphony Shorts. The poll was created, results tallied but nothing came of it.

Fast forward to December 2002, attended my first signing event at Gallery of the Lakes and met Kent Melton. At dinner that evening, recall asking Kent, "is there one piece you hope some day to sculpt?" His reply was Wynken, Blynken and Nod. It reminded me of the poll I did and how I wish that series would materialize or at least have a larger representation in the line of those early shorts.

Fast forward again to December 2006 and the announcement of 1st Quarter 2007 and in that announcement, the unveiling of the debut piece in the Silly Symphony Series, The Ugly Duckling and His Mother, an Open Edition release sculpted by Jacqueline Perreault Gonzales. Yay! It may have taken 7-8 years but the series FINALLY happened!!

To me, this sculpture was amazing and reminded me of the Field Mouse, for the simple fact these were esoteric characters and not something you've seen overdone in other mediums and a series that would showcase characters that may only be familiar to the die-hard Disney fan. Throughout 2007, I featured these releases here in my blog.


My first blog entry on the Silly Symphony Series was in April, 2007 titled Silly Symphony Releases: Past & Present which not only focused on the debut release in the series but previous releases where a Silly Symphony short was the subject of a Walt Disney Classics Collection release.

These shorts not only had endearing characters, many who may have only appeared in one short but animation rich in colors set to music. As I keep fingers crossed the next quarter contains another release from this series, possibly Elmer & Tillie? The Skeleton Dance? Jenny Wren and Cock Robin? Wynken, Blynken and Nod?


In the meantime, for your viewing pleasure, I've included a clip of the animated short Wynken, Blynken and Nod (courtesy of YouTube.com):



Wynken, Blynken and Nod is a Silly Symphony Cartoon ©Disney

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Yes, Don... I was also disappointed that there was no addition to the series in 1st quarter 2008. But I'm still hopeful that the series is not done yet...

The first three additions were spectacular! As I said in my top five picks for the year, I couldn't choose between the three of them.

Although I want to definitely see Jenny Wren and Cock Robin, my holy grail for the Silly Symphonies would be Wynken, Blynken and Nod. If done the way I imagine, it could be a most spectacular piece!

Herc said...

Would love WB&N as well. Also surprised that there was no addition to the series in the first quarter.

This series is fantastic. The price points are also surprisingly low. The work alone on the Old Mill rates more than the $150 retail price.

I did the Ugly Duckling and Mother piece for Mother's Day and it was a hit. I also got flack for finding ways to get green boxes in the house, but I digress.

As for Little Hiawatha, those two pieces are a part of my Thanksgiving decorating.

Here's hoping for a long life for this series. When you talk Classics in the Walt Disney Classics Collection, this IS the series that is definitely a classic. It's what Walt did best.

DC Pop Fanatic said...

I think we haven't seen the last of the Silly Symphony Series and was really hoping for a 1st quarter release. I am having withdrawals .. LOL!

Keeping fingers crossed for Elmer & Tillie but like you Matthew, Wynken, Blynken and Nod is my holy grail piece to be done in this series. I hope if done, it's a single sculpt. I personally believe it's the only way to do this piece properly. JTDO.

Jeff, totally agree. The price points are very good given all the detail in each piece. This series truly defines why the Walt Disney Classics Collection initially started! JTDO.