Saturday, April 20, 2013

Looking Back: The Pegasus Family

Click Image for a Larger View
Do you find a piece is announced/released and it seems to keep getting put on the back burner?  That was the case for me with The Pegasus Family from Fantasia.

I'm a late bloomer when it comes to Fantasia. Thanks to friends who are rabid fans, I've gained an appreciation for the film. Add to that, the Walt Disney Classics Collection has released some of their best pieces from this film. In a relatively short time, now with the addition of the Pegasus Family, my Fantasia Collection is complete!

I've only seen this piece once in person but really didn't get to study it very well.  I unpacked it when it arrived earlier this week to make sure it arrived safely and today finally took the time to study (and appreciate) this sculpture.


Click Image for a Larger View
This sculpture is crying for a rotating base to fully appreciate the sculpting and artistry of this piece.  In viewing the initial photos, thought the color of the tree branch and foliage was a bit garish. In person, the coloring is more muted and pleasing to the eye.  

In viewing the additional images below (and at right), note the underside of the Mother's wing.  I like the two-tone coloring and amazes me how someone was able to paint that as they did, given the area they had to work with. This is what has always set the Walt Disney Classics Collection apart from other collectibles, the attention to detail!

I also like how each Pegasi have their own individual personality and how Kent sculpted the Mother's wing, protecting her young child.

Special Note: I used natural light in these photos, for those who appreciate seeing the sculptures in a home setting. Even in these pictures, the red foilage in the tree came across much darker vs. in person.

The Pegasus Family ("Mythic Menagerie"), sculpted by Kent Melton was a Numbered Limited Edition (NLE) of 500, released in June 2010. 



Click Each Image for a Larger View





5 comments:

Matthew said...

One of the best Fantasia pieces!

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Hi Matthew,

Agree 100%! The Pegasus Family along with the Fantasia Fairies are some of the best pieces in the collection.

After studying this piece since its arrival, I know I would have regretted had I passed and had to go searching for it later.

Anonymous said...

Another reason to prize what we have lost with the end of Wdcc!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Don for keeping your
site up and active!

DC Pop Fanatic said...

You're Welcome!

We were very fortunate over the years getting the releases we did, characters we never saw done (or probably ever see again) that made this collection unique.

I don't think we'll ever see anything done like it again.