Friday, April 26, 2013

Looking Back: Family Vacation

Click Image for a Larger View
The sculpture in this blog entry (Donald, Daisy, Huey, Dewey and Louie) marks their second time in my collection. Due to an unfortunate accident when having our house painted a couple years ago, this sculpture broke beyond repair.

Thankfully I had it covered by insurance. Both reporting and resolving the claim went smoothly but at the time of the accident, this sculpture was beginning to become harder and harder to find amongst retailers. I decided to put the money aside with the hopes of one day locating another and once again, having in my collection.

Two years later, I'm happy to report, I was able to find one! The replacement sculpture arrived this past week.

Being a Duck Fan, it's probably a no-brainer this is one that I would like (and have in my collection) but after taking Mary & Amanda on their 1st visit to Disneyland® last summer, it held a special meaning for me and put me on the hunt to locate another.


Click Image for a Larger View
This piece evokes great memories for me of that trip, seeing the park through their eyes for the first time and time spent with good friends.  

The sculpture depicts Donald's classic red roadster (inspired by the auto seen in the last Donald Duck theatrical cartoon produced to date, 'The Litterbug') complete with Donald's famous '313' license plate and Donald Duck hood ornament (pictured at right). Coloration of Donald's license plate (see below) was based on research of California license plates of that era. 

The scultpure also includes nostalgic 1950's Davy Crockett 'coon skin cap and Mickey Mouse Ears worn by the nephews and a Disneyland® pennant!

"Family Vacation" (a Numbered Limited Edition (NLE) of 1,500) was sculpted by Bruce Lau, making its debut at Disneyland® Resort in July 2005 and then released to all other retailers in late August and September that same year.

Click Each Image for a Larger View





No comments: